9.13.2004

Another (almost) fall weekend, packed with great weather, good football games on TV, and....work?

Yeah, I've got so much on my plate right now, couldn't take a midday nap even if I wanted. Fine by me...I'd rather be busy than searching through employment ads.

For the last 6 months, I've been researching building my own computer. The one I currently own was cutting-edge technology two and a half years ago, but even then, it was better suited to office tasks than what I currently spend most time doing, which is audio/video applications. So, I've been looking at everything from the basics of computer construction up to the specific things that go into building an audio/video workstation. Honestly, it would be easier to go out and have someone else do the work for me rather than my attempt at re-inventing the wheel (there are tons of people who build these machines). However, my estimates so far tell me that if I build it myself, I look to save as much as $2k on the whole deal. Beyond that, it's also great, I think, to be able to know all the in's and out's of my machine, so that I become my own first contact for tech support if something goes south. So now, I know how I want to build it, and with what parts, but I'm waiting for some money to show up.

Oh, and about the football this weekend....it was crazy. UGA's game against South Carolina didn't look good until the very end. In fact, that was basically the story for all the college ball on Saturday. Every matchup seemed to be only truly decided in the fourth quarter, if not in the last 5 minutes. It pretty much started with the hurricane-delayed FSU v. Miami game, which was just nuts. If it began with that game, it sure ended with Ga. Tech's game against Clemson. Honestly, I really wanted to see Clemson win, because I knew that would make the South Carolina folks even more upset (losing to Georgia, and then their in-state rival winning their game). However, I don't recall seeing a more amazing come-from-behind victory than the one that the Jackets pulled off. I think it's the first time I actually kind of rooted for Tech. Of course, I felt very dirty afterward, but if you saw the game, you'd know what I mean.

Next weekend, UGA plays at home against Marshall. Never heard of them before this season. I do know that they gave #8 Ohio State a real scare on Saturday, just about stealing the day. Ohio State pulled off just one of the many come-from-behind victories for the day.

September 13th....I don't see how it's possible that we're already half into September, and a week out from the official start of autumn, but it is what it is.

Oh, you know, I was kind of wrapping up there, but I want to say this: I don't know what's going on with these purportedly falsified documents about Bush's service in the Nat'l Guard, but if it turns out that the falsification was either done by one of the news outlets, or that a blind eye was turned to verfication of the documents, it sure isn't going to look good for Kerry, no matter his role (or non-role) in this thing. I guess we'll see what happens.

No comments: