1.20.2009

New Prez

Interrupting the testimonial for a moment here...don't worry, I'm almost done with part 2 and it'll be up soon.

In the meantime, I thought I'd lay my thoughts out there on the president-in-waiting, Barack Obama.

Whoa, just noticed that spell check didn't care for "Barack Obama" at all.

Most people who know me know that I didn't vote for Barack Obama. As for who I did give my vote to, I'm not going to tell you (not in this blog, anyway). Ideologically, I consider myself a libertarian. Freedom is my big poll issue, and I generally plan to vote for the candidate who promises me the most freedom. Freedom from oppression, freedom from government interference in my life, freedom to be whatever I want to try to be.

All that being said, I still respect the man. He's about to be our president, one of only 44 that we've ever had. It's historic in and of itself. Also, he's our first black president (yeah, I know...only "half black," but still). That's historic as well. And I believe he's a very smart man, capable of being president - even if I don't think he's the best option we had.

I also recognize that for black people living in America, this is huge. The older generations have a lot to celebrate here, much more than recent generations. They lived through racial division that far exceeds anything that people my age can really, truly comprehend.

I'll sum it all up here. He's not the president I voted for, but he is still MY president. He may not be the best guy for the job, but he is the one who has the job. I'm a citizen of the United States and as such, I wish MY president the best, most successful presidency possible. I pray that he will be a good president and that he will avoid harm while acting out his duties.

Best of luck to our incoming president.

No comments: