7.15.2004

It's been a crazy week at work. We're building a new set for a customer that wants to demonstrate the home installation of their HVAC zoning products. So, we're building a home (kind of).

On top of that, there's a never ending stream of additional work that must be completed alongside this other massive project. It's not that it's impossible, just a whole lot to do all at once.

We're actually putting together a new web page too. I built the look and feel of the page back in January, and we had a programmer go in to interface it with all the back end. It's going to work a lot better, but for some reason I don't think it'll solve all our problems. I have issues with people who think that new technology will solve their problems for them. Almost every time, the more complicated something is, the more you have to do to keep it going. Of course, new technology will do more for you, but it's not bulletproof, as some people think.

I think the weirdest thing that ever happened to me was that someone found out I knew HTML, and then assumed I knew everything there was to know about web design, programming, networking, etc...hey, I'm a simple man.

Got to hang out with Mike the other night. He hadn't seen our place since we got married, and I don't think I've seen him in 4 or 5 months. It didn't really occur to me at the time, but really, I don't know when the last time was that I saw him. Last December? Maybe. It's too bad that I can't see much of my friends anymore. Got to see Chris and Eric and some other folks on the 4th of July, which was a lot of fun. Last Friday, Andy Garland and his fiancee Abby came over for some dinner and tennis. Seems like I'm seeing more people the last couple of months. It's the season to get out, eh?

Three weddings coming up, two of them family. It's bizarre to see my little sister Maureen getting married...and to my friend Graham (we'll just call him Gwam). They're both getting excited about it all. I'm sure they'll be happy in their home over in Carrollton.

In other news, Hilary and I are going to dump our home phone line. It's just too expensive. Of course, since we're ditching that, we're gonna ditch our dial-up internet as well. We're gonna take the money we save from ditching Bellsouth and Joi internet, and apply those savings to cable TV and broadband internet. The cable is just basic, so we'll only be getting local broadcast stations (which we currently receive with an antenna). That's no problem, because 1) it's cheap, 2) we have to have a cable TV account to get the good deals on broadband internet, and 3) there's a bunch of good shows on broadcast. I don't know if I'd ever have enough time to dedicate to expanded basic or digital cable.

My big challenge coming up in the next few days: convince Cingular Wireless that I am right, they are wrong, and get what I want now, not later. Wish me luck.

No comments: