1.17.2008

Blizzard Hits Georgia...No Survivors

I love when it snows in Georgia. It's unique, only happening once a year or every other year. However, you can see the news coverage and witness dozens of people in an area lightly dusted with snow running out to get space heaters, generators, heated blankets, milk, bread, whatever. Seriously, even if the "storm" lasted more than a day or two, you quite likely have enough food and water for a worst-case-scenario, and the space heater you bought two years ago when it snowed probably still works. I mean, I know it's still in the box, so it hasn't been tested yet, but it probably works.

When these people are interviewed, they are often VERY concerned, saying "well, you never know what could happen" or "it don't look like much, but believe you me, if it gets worse, y'all are gonna be callin' me for my heaters." I mean....okay, look, I get it. I was in Boy Scouts (motto: "Be prepared). But really? Really?

In spite of the ridiculous news coverage, I think everyone is gonna be okay. Looking outside here, there's a little ice on the road, but rain has been falling since 3am and even the snow is melting on the lawn.

Perhaps in the northernmost counties of the state, it's a little worse. Hilary headed up there for work this morning, and she called and told me that it's basically just a little wet, some ice, but everyone's out and about.

Nonetheless, after dinner last night, I took Jingles and we wandered around the neighborhood in the snow. We timed it just right, too...the snow started coming full force at that point. When we left, the sidewalk and driveway in front of the house were lightly dusted (melting on contact mostly). By the time we got back, it was covered with snow, and the streets were getting a pretty white covering as well. LOTS of snow.

Went in for a few minutes to warm up (quite windy out), but then Jingles and I went back out for a little while longer until it got too windy. Snow was blasting out my eyeballs (stings the nostrils....). Jingles went absolutely berserko. She L-O-V-E-D the snow. Of course, I got ZERO in the way of photographs of this whole ordeal, but I was just enjoying it - not documenting it.

By the time I went to bed, it was mainly sleet/rain, and then this morning it's just rain. A whole lot of fun, but not a whole lot of snow. As is typical with Georgia weather, I'm absolutely expecting to be wearing shorts and flip flops in the 80 degree heat that is to follow next week. Okay, I'm being a little bit sarcastic (no people, I'm not predicting the weather, and no, I've heard no predictions of 80 degree temps for next week). Point being - we gots us some craaazzy weather here in this state.

Baby class tonight...earlier concerns that class might be canceled have given way to reality. It's gonna be a little wet, but nothing will stop us from our quest to learn more about the miracle of pushing a watermelon through a Life Saver. Last week's class was interesting. This week - another video, more "techniques" and even a tour of the facilities. I hope it's an audio tour...I'll bring my own headphones just in case. Maybe we'll even get dumped out into a little gift shop with souvenirs at the end!

No comments: