10.17.2008

Falling

So it's fall, which is nice. What's it mean?

- Hayrides
- Pumpkin patches
- Camping
- Mountain trips to see the leaves change
- Football!!
- Cooler weather
- Shorter days

It's all good stuff...I prefer the heat of summer (honestly, I like it hot) but the fall season has all those great things to offer. This weekend offers a fall favorite for our group up in Helen, GA at Oktoberfest. The grandparents are watching the kids, so the Garlands and Eric and Emily will be joining us for a weekend of camping, chicken dancing and drinking beer. Weather is supposed to dip up in the mountains to a cool lower 40's to upper 30's overnight, with highs only in the 60's during the day (somehow that always seems to happen the weekend of Oktoberfest).

Skipping the UGA vs. Vandy homecoming game. It's never fun...either the game is a blowout for UGA (snooze...) or it's a tight "exciting" game. Exciting isn't good when you're playing Vandy. So either way, I just hope for the W and go on about my business.

GA/FL game is just 2 short weeks away. My grandfather, my father, my uncle, my cousin and I all make the trip each year as a sort of "guys retreat," and it's usually very relaxing. Then game day comes along and it's full speed ahead in Jacksonville, FL where UGA has the recent win from last year, but a more troubled past of losses against the Gators. Still a lot of fun at that game (just more fun to win, obviously).

After 27/28 years, you wouldn't think it would be surprising, but it is strange to see the sun disappear over the horizon before 8pm. And then winter comes along and it's even earlier. Give me the long days of summer anytime.

I'm curious what kind of stuff you readers out there do with your fall months (if there are any of you left after all these years). Any kind of trips that you take? Things on your fall "to-do" list this year?

1 comment:

Abby said...

We go to Oktoberfest. And we go camping. And we drink beer. And burn holes in our pajamas and take awesome videos of Christian generating overwhelming amounts of heat.