5.01.2006

Today the speed limit dropped from 65 mph to 55 mph on an 8 mile stretch of my commute. Not a big deal...it's being done to get ready for the remainder of the construction on this new mega-interchange between I-85 and GA 316. Gonna last for another 2 and 1/2 years. After it's all done the traffic congestion in the area "should" lighten up a bit.

Okay, so not being one to spit on the traffic laws, no matter how ridiculous something may seem, I followed the new limit in the next-to-far-right lane of a 5 lane road (well, actually I was going 5 over the limit at 60 mph). Holy smokes, horns honking, tempers flaring, fingers waving and screaming screaming SCREAMING. People were SO PISSED OFF at this little Toyota Econo-car driving down the road at 60 mph. One of two things (or both, or whatever) had obviously occurred:

  • People were not aware of the new speed limit, and could not figure out why I was poking along
  • People didn't give a damn about the speed limit, whether it was 40 mph or 70 mph...they were sure as rain gonna go however fast they wanted.

Regardless, I wasn't going to speed up just to satisfy these unknowns. Tickets in this zone can cost up to $2,000........yes, $2,000. I just don't have it. That's about my only motivation to ever obey a speed limit...money. Let's face it, almost all speed limits are set partially due to road and traffic conditions, but primarily to raise funds for the local municipalities.

Anyway, I didn't feel too bad about all these jokers getting angry at me....let 'em fly by and take their chances. I saw at least a dozen po-po flashing their lights off the side of the road all the way in today. I ain't buyin' their coffee and donuts. I was scared as hell to have no less than 4 tractor trailers riding my rear at that speed, but I couldn't very well get over another lane without exiting. Too bad for all of us to have to slow down for 2 and 1/2 years, but oh well....deal with it.

Bah....what a dumb way to start off the week. Now I'm ready to get back in bed.

No comments: