2.28.2005

Stranger things have happened...

Guitarist drops Korn to follow Jesus

This news is about 4 days old, but I'm still rolling it around in my head. I was a pretty big fan of Korn when their first album came out, and I really respected this guy's ability to really rock the guitar in a way that sounded unique among everything else in the genre. I stopped listening to them because, well, they weren't really that good, in my opinion, after the first album. More importantly, I didn't care for the way they expressed themselves in the lyrics. It wasn't a major decision in my life, just one of those little things you think about when your read news like this.

Here's what I wanted to get out in this post...this guy's story just goes to prove what Jesus commanded when He came upon a crowd punishing a prostitute...that only those with no sin should pass judgement on others. I'm sure there must have been more than one occasion where Brian ‘Head’ Welch, the guitarist for Korn, heard someone tell him he was going to Hell for some reason or another, but anyone making that claim against him is now officially wrong. How wrong was it to judge the people that Jesus would eventually take on as diciples? All of them had a number of sins, and need salvation the same as any.

Think about it....a lot of high-and-mighty folks are quick to tell people that they are on a path to Hell. As this guitarist's story in particular has shown us, whatever path Brian ‘Head’ Welch was on has now obviously led him to Christ.

God works in mysterious ways, yep. There are millions of people out there hearing nothing but negativity from Christians (and I must admit that I've thrown more than my share of stones, unfortunately). This guy's story makes me think real long and hard about the way I approach people that God may have put me with. What would make me (or anyone) think that God wants us to verbally punish people for their sins? Wouldn't it make more sense just to show them that the life I lead is more enjoyable and my burdens are easier to bear because of the love of my savior, Jesus Christ? The relationship I have with Him is not yet what I want it to be, only because of myself, but every step I make towards Him gives me a feeling I couldn't begin to describe.

Wouldn't it make sense to explain the love of a savior in these terms than to simply tell people that they are evil in the eyes of God and will be burning in Hell for eternity? I just hope that I personally can remember lives like this and the countless others told and untold before I pretend to be the judge of all creation again.

No comments: